Monday, April 11, 2011

Nappily Ever After

I've been wanting to get into this series since 2008. I don't know why it took me so long because I knew I would enjoy it. It has come highly recommended by many.

I'm not big into African-American fiction and beginning in 2010, I've tried to make a concerted effort to change that and step out of my typical reading comfort zones.

To me, this was a very good read. I think I wanted the end to be different. I related so much to Venus and her hair struggles. Also, her work struggles as a black woman climbing the corporate ladder spoke directly to me because so many things were highlighted by the author in terms of emotions and interactions that only some one with the same struggle would even pick up on.  I think Venus was very brave throughout the book and that astonishes me because the entire book seem to focus on her vulnerabilities and insecurities.

Going through the story not knowing whether she was marrying Clint or not really urged me to hurry through this one. I think I read it in under 24hours.

I look forward to reading more of the series this year. The next in the series, Would I Lie to You is on my TBR list in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment